Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Commenting Rules on this Blog

I've posted this before, but it's been over a year and there are some new names showing up in the comments:
  • Comments on this blog are moderated. If you do not see your comment right away, it is in moderation. Please do not post the same comment more than once.
  • I have a life. Sometimes I can read comments in moderation very soon after they have been posted. Sometimes they will sit for most of the day or even a few days. Adjust your expectations accordingly.
  • If you don't see your comment, it means A) I haven't moderated it yet or B) I moderated it and rejected it.
  • I sometimes get way behind in moderating comments and I reject the entire batch to clear things out. Nothing personal. 
  • If you have put a hyperlink into your comment, I will hold that comment until I can take my time reading what is at the link.
  • If you state in the comment that it is not for publication, I will not publish it. In those cases, I recommend you use the contact link at the foot of the page instead of leaving a comment.
  • If you have said something that appears to be humorous, satirical, ironic, etc., and which could easily be misunderstood, I'm probably going to hold the comment until I can add a follow up or else not publish it. I may get the joke but I hate cleaning up after people who didn't.
  • Anyone who reads my comments can see that I'll approve and release stuff that I strongly disagree with as long as it is civil and thoughtful. Conversely, lack of civility or thoughtfulness, even when the commenter agrees with me, will earn a rejection.
  • If you are rude, TYPE IN ALL CAPS, look like you're getting into a pointless pissing match with another commenter, spam, or generally annoy me, you will be rejected.
  • I sometimes release comments that demonstrate the commenter is a moron. If you posted that comment and get ridiculed because you said something moronic, too bad. Think before you post.
  • Comments of the "I agree!" and "Me too!" variety probably won't be released.
  • I run this blog for my own purposes. I'm not here to promote your blog, support your cause, or otherwise make you happy. If I don't release your comment or add you to my blogroll or mention you in a post, that's life.
  • Comments that have nothing to do with the post will probably get deleted.
  • Sometimes I reply to you with a comment of my own, but I prefer to leave that area for you to voice your thoughts and respond to other commenters. After all, I have the blog itself for my own commentary.
In short, be civil, stay on topic, say something interesting or insightful or provocative without being antagonistic, and I'll release the comment.

Anglachel

    No comments: