Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A Precious Victory

So I'm getting bitched out plenty in the comments and through email about how I never say a nice word about Obama and I"m soooo bitter and can't I get over it and why won't I say things that validates the writer's political choices, yadda, yadda, Ginger.

Sure, here ya go.

I want Obama to go to Georgia and campaign his heart out for a single day, just one day, so we can put another great Democrat into the Senate and remove Saxby Chambliss from office. You want to know why? Because it is going to take his star power to get out enough votes to make the difference in this runoff election. I don't think Hillary alone can do it. It's going to take both of them to do this. I want the Democrats to take back Max Cleland's seat. I want Democrats to put another person on their side fo the aisle in the Senate chamber.

And I swear, as sure as God made little green apples, that I want our African-American President-Elect to walk down in to heart of the Old South, take the stage, and show the hateful, authoritarian, revanchist bastards who have divided this nation since the moment of its founding that their days are numbered by being the factor that turns this "sure bet" election for Chambliss into a rout for Martin.

I mean, c'mon, how can this team lose?

Anglachel

3 comments:

ElleR said...

"I want our African-American President-Elect to walk down in to heart of the Old South, take the stage, and show the hateful, authoritarian, revanchist bastards who have divided this nation since the moment of its founding...."

Wow! That's a pretty heavy indictment. It troubles me that hate speech is so readily accepted when it is directed at those of us who live in the South.

However, I agree with you that it's going to take Obama's presence to elect Martin -- to make sure that the voters who count turn out. I hope he takes this election seriously enough to lend a hand.

Writing from my plantation, deep in the heart of South Georgia, about 30 miles south of Chambliss' hometown -- otherwise known as "The Heart of Darkness."

Anonymous said...

Nice Far Side reference

Anglachel said...

Myiq - I'm glad someone picked up on it.

ElleR - This was not meant as an indictment of the South as such, but of the people like Chambliss, Thurmond, Lott, Allen (who is a Californian originally, btw), who gladly trade in the worst impulses and acts of our nation to remain in power. They are the revanchist bastards who need to know their days are numbered. Please read some of my older posts about the use and abuse of "The South" in the American political imagination.

Anglachel